Friday 9 October 2009

What are we hoping for?



The introduction to the book the Cloud of Unknowing, which I mentioned in my last blog suggests that meditation should have the purpose of:



Instructing the mind

Moving the will

Warming the heart.



It occurred to me that these three tests would be good to apply to a lot of areas of our spiritual life. What are we hoping for when we have our "quiet time"? How do we judge whether a meeting has been a "good" one or not? Often we make our assessment upon whether we were entertained, felt comfortable, liked the songs and were able to see the people we wanted to see.



I will never forget listening to a tape by Father Ian Petit, who cautioned people listening to him not to judge whether what he had to say was good or not on the basis on whether they enjoyed it but on the basis of whether they went away changed into better people.



It seems to me that we would cover a lot of ground if we come away from our gatherings together knowing that we understand God's word more and how to apply it to our lives. However there is always the danger of our experience becoming clinical head knowledge if our hearts are not inspired and stirred up with love for God. Yet even this is incomplete is we do not also determined to put into practice what we have heard. If we only ever think and feel and don't act we will continue to go around in circles, living with the same old habits, fears and issues.



I reckon sometimes I need one more than the others but my prayer is that I will be open for the Holy Spirit to sort that out. As a leader I want to be aware of the need to help people to come away from anything I might have a hand in delivering or facilitating experience those things in some measure.



What do you think?



God bless



Carol



PS Sorry to those who have heard me going on about this all week !!

No comments: