Thursday 17 February 2011

Children and the war effort

I was privileged to grow up in a Salvation Army home where I was never just a passive recipient of the adult ministry to me, but from an early age to get involved in ministry myself. I was expected to pray in the juniors, to sing a solo when my mother took me with her on speaking engagements and was the teacher of the other children at the tiny corps I went with my father every Sunday morning when I was 10 or 11 years old. Although it was probably down to the fact I grew up in a small corps and there was nobody else to do it, that I was singing company leader at 16 and corps cadet guardian at 18, I am forever grateful for those early experiences of Christian leadership.

Last week-end, Cadet Xander Coleman and I were discussing this fact that children can be evangelists and involved in the salvation war and were bemoaning the fact that we seemed to more reticent about this these days. We happened to be looking through a bound copy of Young Soldiers from 1935/36 at the time. The Young Soldier in those days, as well as an outreach to “non Army” children was also the equivalent of a young people’s Salvationist magazine and it contained constant appeals to the children to do their bit for the Kingdom.

“THE WORLD FOR GOD”
EVERY CHILD CAN HELP!

“THE WORLD FOR GOD”
Have you brought someone to Christ yet?

I loved this story from October 12th 1935
“During some special meetings in one of the centres of the Central Territory, USA, Commissioner W.A McIntyre had been outlining the special features of the “World for God” campaign including the Generals wish that we shall make it our aim to win at least one million men and women boys and girls over to the cause of Jesus Christ. At the Penitent Form that night knelt a lad who wanted to give his heart to God. The officer speaking to the boy suggested that he pray aloud. Responding to the request the boy prayed: “Dear Lord, you know we have to win these million souls: I want you to make be good enough to do my part.” It may be that a boy can only do one-millionth part of the great task but if everybody purpose as he did to do that part, who soon our work will be accomplished.”

And I loved this story too.

“The chief of the Staff and Mrs Mapp conducted the Sunday’s meetings at Regent Hall. In the Holiness meeting, on Sunday morning, three little Sunbeams were the first to come forward when the call was given. They were followed by a Life Saving Guard and a little later by a Young People’s band member who come to consecrate himself for officership. Later on in the same day this lad brought another boy to the Penitent From, thus commencing his work as a soul-winner. Two little girls who had been standing listening to the Open Air service followed the soldiers to the hall with the result that one of them came to the Mercy Seat.”

But what delights me even more is that my daughter is now the Singing Company leader at Regent Hall Corps and the children are still leading the way to the Mercy Seat in 2011. She delighted to tell me that, on Commitment Sunday, it was the children who very movingly immediately responded to the call to the Mercy Seat with their pledge cards and who set the tone of the response of the whole corps.

We dare not hold the children back. They have kingdom work to do.
“From the lips of children you have ordained praise.” (Psalm 8:2 Matthew 21:16)

God bless

Carol

1 comment:

Graeme Smith said...

Carol, the first convert at Dartford since we arrived was a young boy of 7 and he too led the way on that particular Sunday!