Friday 7 September 2007

Jesus in heaven

I am reading The Holiest of All by Andrew Murray. It is a devotional study of the book of Hebrews.

One of the things highlighted for me through the book is the truth of the ascended Jesus. We do not make much of Ascension day in the Salvation Army but we do need to remember it because without recognising it we have an incomplete salvation.

He came from heaven to earth to show the way,
from the earth to the cross my debt to pay
from cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky
Lord I lift your name on high.

It's a great song but Jesus didn't go from the grave to the sky to nothing and he didn't just make that remarkable journey from heaven to earth and back again just to pay our debts so that we could escape punishment. He enters heaven so that we could go there too, to dwell in the Father's presence, starting now.

Here's some Murray quotes:

"All the feebleness of our Christian life is owing to one thing; We do not know Jesus in heaven. We do not know that Jesus has "entered in" and that this secures to us boldness and the power of entrance into a heavenly state of life."

"Let us do what Isreal did in crossing Jordan; They allowed Joshua to bring them in; they followed him. Let us follow Jesus in the path he trod."

"All entering in means a coming out from the place we were in before . Forsake all and follow Jesus into God's presence."


God bless

Carol

1 comment:

Esther said...

Jesus hung on the cross every Easter then as if by magic He was back in the manger as a baby every Christmas. I used to wonder how He did that.The same applies today in a lot of churches.
Jesus said in John 14
I go to prepare a place for you and if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you unto myself;that where I am, there ye may be also.
So He's not dashing back as it were between the cross and the manger, He's up in Heaven getting us a home ready. He's really very busy.
So who's holding the fort down here then? You could get quite lonely waiting for Him coming back, but then Jesus left us a message in John 16
Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send Him unto you.
Welcome Holy Spirit.