Thursday 6 December 2007

24 hour prayer

We begin 24 hours of non stop prayer at 9.pm tonight at Pill Corps. I will be doing the night shift. On the human level this feels like madness given that it is December and as in the majority of Salvation Army Corps we are up to our eyes in Christmas mayhem.

On the spiritual level it feels exactly right. As the old saying goes, "If we are too busy to pray we are too busy." I have discovered that there is a vital and necessary need to take time out to relax and do "normal" things like go out for lunch, do the crossword, watch something daft on the TV for an hour. It is not always that easy to do especially when I actually love work and our CSM keeps on asking if we sleep at the hall! However I have also found that prayer is much more restorative than escapsim. It comes from the promise of Jesus, "Come unto me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)

It is also good as we celebrate the events surrounding the birth of the Saviour to, like Mary "ponder these things" in our hearts.

God bless

Carol

No comments: