Tuesday 29 July 2008

Up front and behind the scenes

One thing you cannot say about a Corps officers life is that it is boring. If blogs have been a bit thin on the ground lately its not that nothing is happening in my life to reflect upon but that there is so much.

Up front, these days have been full of activity. As well as the usual stuff, last week was the last week of the school term so it was the Annual Toddler Party, the Jam Club party and the Youth Drop in Pizza Night. I just about managed to avoid being buried under a mountain of sausage rolls!
Saturday was Lucy (our youth worker) and Dave's wedding conducted by Captain Andrew Clark, which was a lovely day. Everything went really well and it was great to meet up again with Dave's family, most of whom we have known since YP Band days in Bath. In between all this we have been going over to Bath as much as possible to visit Alan's Dad who is in hospital and causing concern at the moment.

But there is always a lot more going on than what can be seen up front. Also during last week there have been those moments when people have faced a crisis and come to me to pray with them. There has been news that lifts your spirits and news that stabs you in the heart. And of course there have been those things that irritate and annoy, an issue or two to sort out. I have also been exploring a new area of ministry and continuing to try to listen to what God is saying about the next season of ministry the Corps is moving into. And there have been those secret kindnesses that people do for you that are a real blessing.

Anyway this is a bit of a ramble but I am just so grateful that God has a handle on it all even if I only have a little glimpse of what is really going on in the world, in the people around me and even within myself.

One thing that is a constant for me is the word of God. These are just some of the verses that have reached my heart in these busy days.

Psalm 87:6 "The Lord will write in the register of the peoples,"this one was born in Zion."

Romans 6:14 "For you are not under law but under grace."

Psalm 88:13 "But I cry to you for help, O Lord. In the mornign my prayer comes before you."

Romans 22:35 "Who has ever given to God that God should repay him."

Psalm 89:35 "Once for all, I have sworn by my holiness."

God bless

Carol

1 comment:

petros said...

Thanks for the Scripture reminders Carol ...... and thank you and Alan for just being you .... I know God is touching me through you .... so I guess it must be happening elsewhere as well.
God Bless
Petros