Thursday 2 October 2008

Holiness is the word

I have completed the Bible in One Year reading plan and I have now decided to study all the references in the Bible using the word holiness.

Here is the first one:

Exodus 15: 11
Who among the gods is like you O Lord?
Who is like you?
majestic in holiness,
awesome in glory
working wonders?


The AV uses the phrase "glorious in holiness" and the GNB "wonderful in holiness"

Holiness means separateness, the old mystics talked about the "otherness" of God.

I like the word glorious associated with God's holiness. My understanding is that the word glory is connected with the idea of heaviness or weight. When we talk about someone's opinion carrying weight we mean that they are influential and important.

Anyway my immediate interpretation of this phrase "glorious in holiness is that we cannot view God's holiness as a slight thing, inconsequential thing. When I am dealing with God I am not dealing with someone who is a little bit more important than current world leaders or heroes of history.

If God is glroious in holiness then I need more than me to understand him and I need more than man made processes of investigation to know how to approach him.

And is God's holiness is glorious then how overwhelming is it that God both commands and promises this:

"You shall be holy for I the Lord am holy." (Exodus 22:31)

God bless

Carol

No comments: