Saturday 11 October 2008

Partners in the gospel

We have just got back from conducting the wedding of Retired HLS Greta Nichols and Major Jack Shakespeare. It was a privilege to witness these two lovely people pledge what years they have left to a "partnership in the gospel" (Phil 1:3) as a married couple.

The wedding concluded with Albert Orsborne's song, "I know thee who thou art." We had this at our own wedding day, at our Covenant Day and at family funerals and I rarely manage to sing it dry-eyed.

Today the second and third verses are also particularly significant as our eldest daughter Katie was setting off with a team from Christian Solidarity Worldwide to walk the Great Wall of China. As well as raising funds for the charity, which campaigns on behalf of persecuted Christians around the world, they will be meeting up with Chinese Christians to support them in their sometimes difficult and dangerous walk with Christ. I know that Katie walks with Christ daily and I know that he will be with her during this trip.

Thy name is joined with mine
By every human tie
And my new name is thine
A child of God am I
And never more alone since thou
Art on the road beside me now.

Beside thee as I walk
I will delight in thee
In sweet communion talk
Of all thou art to me
The beauty of thy face behold
And know thy mercies manifold.

God bless

Carol

No comments: