Sunday 9 March 2008

Challenging times

I read this earlier today.

"God judges us entirely by what we have seen................This is the condemnation, that light has come into the world and men loved darkness rather than the light." We are not judged by the light we have but by the light we have refused to accept. God holds us responsible for what we will not look at. A man is never the same after he has seen Jesus." Oswald Chambers

A few years ago I was engaged with a friend in an all night of prayer. During the early hours of the morning I had what I can only describe as a vision of the glory of God and the loveliness of holiness that was mine in Christ if I would take it. It was overwhelming beautiful and I cannot think about it or write about it without a sense of awe.

In recent days this vision has been brought back to me several times. I was reading as part of my routine Bible reading and I came across a verse in Exodus 24:9 which I had never noticed before. "Moses and Aaron, Nadab and Abihu and the seventy elders saw the God of Israel. Under his feet was something like a pavement made of sapphire, clear as the sky itself."

As I read the vision came back. That "sapphire blue" is what I saw.

The reason I was able be open enough and ready enough to have a glimpse of heaven that night was because I "climbed the stair" as it were. You can only see the view from the top of a mountain if you climb it. Don't get me wrong I pray regularly but I know there is a whole level of prayer that I don't reach very often because I know it is quicker and easier to stay on the ground floor. But now I am challenged profoundly by Oswald Chambers words "God holds us responsible for what we will not look at."

The vision conveyed to me vividly the beauty of holiness. What the Holy Spirit is challenging me about is not that I didn't accept that this beauty was real but that I have not embraced what is on offer. I have tucked away the truth of it in a memory and fail to live in its light. I know what is possible but I have held back from going there.

Does this make any kind of sense?

God bless

Carol

No comments: