Friday 6 June 2008

Changing the world

We buy all the fair trade goods we can and I know that Cote'D'Ivoire is the biggest exporter of cocoa in the world. There have been many reports of the the trafficking of children on the plantations, particulaly in the interior but my tentative enquiries about this were dismissed as exaggeration. I just don't know. I didn't see any evidence of it but that is not to say it is not happening.

All I do know is that when we went for a drive into the countryside we bought a fresh pineapple for less than 5p and the cocoa I am holding in the picture for a few pence. If we were buying it retail for that, then the farmers would be getting even less than that when they were selling wholesale. There are an awful lot of middle men between the pineapple at source and the price I pay at Tesco's. Something is not right somewhere.

Well I didn't expect to change the world on a weeks visit but I did pray that I would make a tiny difference some how. I just couldn't see how.
Then on Sunday the mayor who is the equivalent of an MP was invited to the Church anniversary. He has put himself forward as a candidate for President, when elections are held later in the year. He is a man of influence and has the opportunity to address the issues of trade, justice, peace and poverty.

At the end Solomon invited him to the front so that the church could pray for him. Kingsley and I were asked to lay hands on him and I was given the privilege of praying on behalf of everyone for him. I believe I prayed prophetically and I trust that God will answer my prayer that this man may be someone through whom justice flows and righteousness like a never ending stream.

I will continue to pray for this man because I believe we can change the world through prayer.

God bless
Carol

No comments: